Photographs of Cheadle in the 1920s
Click here if you want to add a comment about any photographs
Click here if you want to submit any of your own photographs
The rear of Abney Hall with neatly cut hedges overhanging the lawn
Click on image for enlargement
Click here for full screen and zoom feature
Abney Hall and the pond near Manchester Road
Former soldiers in full uniform gather for the Armistice Day Parade on the formert recreation ground by Stockport Road, with Francis Street in the background
The newly acquired Belmont Estate on Schools Hill for the charity that is now known as the Together Trust.
Parade of smart cars outside of the now demolished Brookfield House with employee Mr John Pierce standing in the doorway
The old clock tower close to Brookfield House on Wilmslow Road
James E Bullock and son sit in a "modern"car outside their garage near to Cheadle Green
Reference number: 227
James E Bullock stands outside his garage and petrol station between Manchester Road and Cheadle Green
Members of Cheadle football club pose for a team picture at the start of the 1926/1927 season
The first motorised Cheadle ambulance donated by the St John's Ambulance Service arrives in Cheadle
Cheadle Congregational church was built on Massie Street, south of High Street, in 1861, but was demolished in 1972 when the current Trinity church was constructed
An all boys class photograph from Cheadle Council School in 1924
Ex servicemen pose for a group photograph at the premises of their new club on Ashfield Crescent
Members of the Cheadle Fire Service parade through the streets of Cheadle in a motorised fire engine
Members of the Cheadle Fire service stand on their fire truck outside their fire station in what is now the Massie Street car park
Members of the Cheadle Fire Service pose for the camera outside their fire station which was located in what is now the Massie Street car park
A young girl sits on a stump looking at the camera with Cheadle Green, Manchester Road and the railway bridge in the background
Women teachers stand at a doorway of Cheadle Primary School.
A class photograph of pupils at Cheadle Primary School.
Teacher and pupils at what is believed to be Cheadle Primary School
All the boys of the same class pose for a group photograph, probably taken around 1926 or 1927. The boy at the top right is Albert Kenneth Smith.
The main entrance at Cheadle Rectory
View of the north side of Cheadle Rectory (demolished in the late 1930s) with the main entrance on the left
The bandstand and main outdoor recreational grounds at Cheadle Royal Hospital
The interior of the chapel at Cheadle Royal Hospital
Ariel view of Cheadle Royal Hospital main buildings
Ariel view of Cheadle Royal Hospital main buildings in 1927
View of the North House of Cheadle Royal Hospital
Detached house in the grounds of Cheadle Royal Hospital
Group photograph of Cheadle playgroup prior to a performance in 1928
A large group of workers from the Clay Mill on Demmings Road gather for a group photograph to celebrate the opening of the new company bowling green
Pupils and teacher at Councillor Lane Primary School in the 1920s.
Members of the Armistice Day Parade gather in Depleach Road before marching to the new memorial by Cheadle Green
The newly built Drill Hall on Brook Road
The final refurbishment of the Electra picture house on the south side of High Street
View of High Street towards Cheadle Green with a double decker bus approaching
Co-owner James Burns outside the Electra cinema on the North side of High Street
A procession of Cheadle scouts and guides marching through Cheadle at the beginning of the 1920s
A motor bus drives past the Ockleston Memorial with the Cheadle Institute, Cheadle Green and Cheadle Hall in the background
Locals gather outside the Red Lion pub on Stockport Road around the end of the 1920s. Seated at the bottom is John Howat.
The view up Schools Hill from Wilmslow Road
The rear view of St Mary's church graveyard.
A tram passes the Red Lion inn (on the right) on Stockport Road
Pedestrians pass the Royal Oak pub on Stockport Road
Stockport Road towards the junction with Edgeley Road
Huge crowds gather on Cheadle Green in 1920 for the service for erecting the War Memorial remembering the soldiers who lost their lives in World War 1
Huge crowds gather on Cheadle Green for the service for erecting the War Memorial remembering those who died in World War 1
Pedestrians walk past the War Memorial with the Cheadle Institute building in the background
Vast crowds gather to witness the opening ceremony of the new War Memorial by Cheadle Green in 1920
A car is parked on Wilmslow Road
A car is parked on the east side of Wilmslow Road, close to the junction with Gatley Road. The wall of the old rectory is on the left and the National School is on the right.