!

Abney Hall

Reference number: 729

 

A view of the original Abney Hall pond in the foreground with the imposing Abney Hall in the background

 Click on image for enlargement 

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Abney Hall

Reference number: 728

View of the original pond in Abney Hall Park

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

 

Abney Hall

Reference number: 727

 

Abney Hall gardens with Abney Hall in the distance

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Abney Hall

Reference number: 726

 

View of the main gates, driveway and caretakers lodge at Abney Hall, with the hall visible in the background

 

Click on on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Abney Hall gardeners cottage

Reference number: 239

A family (presumably the occupants) sit outside the well-kept gardener's cottage in Abney Hall Park

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Delivery cart

Reference number: 853

One of the horse drawn delivery carts which brought coal from the mines around Buxton back to Cheadle in the late 19th Century

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Gatley Road

Reference number: 354

 

The toll gates at the junction of Gatley Road leading towards High Street

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Gatley Road

Reference number: 186

Boys and men stand outside the toll house on the junction of Gatley Road and Wilmslow Road, next to the Old Rectory, with the toll gates closed.

 Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

High Street

Reference number: 553
View of High Street westbound with young boys standing in the road looking at the camera

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

High Street

Reference number: 404

 

A sergeant in uniform stands outside a house on High Street

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

 

High Street

Reference number: 421
Dr Robert Ockleston was a popular and highly respected doctor in Cheadle for a large part of the second half of the 19th Century and lived in this house on the north side of High Street

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Horse drawn bus

Reference number: A48

A horse drawn bus waits outside the White Hart Hotel

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Horse drawn bus

Reference number: A56
Famous coachman Scotch Bob (Robert Telford) on his horse-drawn bus with the top deck full of passengers as part of the celebrations for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Horse drawn bus

Reference number: 360
A horse drawn bus waits to depart on a journey to Manchester from outside the White Hart Hotel

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Horse drawn bus

Reference number: 367

 

Coachman and passengers sit on a horse-drawn bus outside the White Hart Hotel in 1887

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Horse drawn bus

Reference number: 238

A musical band and several passengers sit on top of a horse drawn bus outside the White Hart Hotel

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Horse drawn bus

Reference number: 188

The old Boswells horse drawn bus which operated on the Cheadle to Manchester route. The bus could carry up to 30 passengers, including 12 sitting on the cheaper seats on the roof

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Manchester Road

Reference number: A37

View of the railway bridge and Manchester Road taken from the road by Cheadle Green in 1885

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Ockleston Memorial

Reference number: A23

A special service with a large crowd in attendance to mark the completion of the new memorial to Dr Robert Ockleston which has been erected next to Cheadle Green

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

St Mary's church

Reference number: 489
St Mary's church

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

St Mary's church choir

Reference number: 290

Boys of the St. Mary's church choir pose for a group photograph in 1883.

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Stockport Road

Reference number: 604

 

Toll gate near the Farmer's Arms pub at the junction of Stockport Road and Edgeley Road in Cheadle Heath in 1890


Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Stockport Road

Reference number: 376

 

A homecoming event on Stockport Road for newlyweds returning to Cheadle

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Toll gate at East Didsbury

Reference number: 601

 

The toll house in East Didsbury which people had to pass to get to Cheadle

 Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

White Hart Hotel

Reference number: 762

 

View of the White Hart Hotel at the junction of Wilmslow Road, Gatley Road and High Street before the Weavers Building had been constructed

 

Click on image for enlargement

Wilmslow Road

Reference number: 704

A view along Wilmslow Road with the White Hart Hotel and St Mary's church in the distance. The old Cheadle rectory wall is on the left, while a woman stands in a doorway on the right.

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature

Wilmslow Road toll house

Reference number: 602

 

The old toll gate and toll house at the junction of Schools Hill and Wilmslow Road

 

Click on image for enlargement

Click here for full screen and zoom feature